Wednesday 14 April 2010

"Disposing" of the case : the right of a young person to attend meetings

First published at http://www.goodenoughcaring.com/ on December 3rd, 2010

Over the last two years during supervision sessions with residential child care managers in England, I have often heard them talk about being invited by social workers and social work managers to attend meetings without the presence of a young person to discuss future plans for the said young person. The young people are frequently over the age of 15 and are old enough and have enough understanding of their situation to attend and inform such discussions. Amongst the terms which seem to have developed to describe such a meeting are “professionals' meetings” and “strategy meetings”. I am informed that these meetings are sometimes conferred in order to decide how to “dispose” of the case. I am sure there is something obvious I am overlooking here but I do wonder why those who wish to be part of such a meeting do not want to invite the young person. My understanding is that a young person’s right to be at a meeting which will make decisions about her or his future is enshrined in legislation and legislative guidelines. I would be grateful for comments on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment