Wednesday 6 February 2013

Take the money and run : big organisations and child care ethics



Jeremy Millar writes :
I begin to wonder if for the sake of financial expedience we compartmentalise our core ethics as child care workers and as child care providers when we allow the care of vulnerable children to be in the hands of large companies and organisations whose track record on human rights has been condemned by institutions like Amnesty International. I draw readers attention to the following links about G4S running children's homes and Barnardos running detention facilities for young asylum seekers.
I think these instances of questionable care provision for children - and sadly I believe there will be others - deserve wider coverage and debate. As a teacher in this field it seems to me the ethical message being forced upon me is to invite the students to "Take the money and run."


This news item first appeared on February 6th, 2013 on the home page of goodenoughcaring.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment